Friday, March 9, 2012


In “Ultrasound in abortion should be a woman’s choice” by Brent Jones, the author takes a reasonable approach to a challenging topic.  The author chooses intellectual points over the often seen emotional arguments associated with abortion debates.    The author’s argument centers around the doctor-patient relationship instead the graphic words used in other articles trying to accomplish the same task as this author.  Nowhere in this article does Jones use terms like “medical rape” or “wand of shame” like I have read in similar editorials.  The thought-out and even-keeled opinions put forth by Jones, lends him a credibility missing from both sides of the issue.  The evidence to support his opinion is based on the state laws that are interfering with the Supreme Court decision allowing for a woman’s right to an abortion.  He details several state laws, including the recent Texas and Virginia laws requiring a more invasive ultrasound, rather than allowing the care provider to choose the best method of treating their patient.  His targeted audience appears to be the well-informed person wanting to understand a more reasoned argument for women’s freedoms.

I agree with this author.  Not because I am for or against abortion rights, but because I am strongly against the government regulating my relationship with my doctor.  As a patient, I want my doctor to inform me of all my options, and work with me to come to the best decision for my health.  I don’t believe the government will ever be able to regulate health care in such a way that it improves the level of care that can be given by a good doctor working with a well informed patient.  I do not want to have my doctor’s hands tied with threats of losing their license if they do not agree with the state on the best plan of treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment